Page 2 of 4
18. Moffat’s Cup of Tea Moffat’s is a cultural destination as well as a lovely little venue to pass the time. Luncheon or afternoon tea available at the “shabby chic” venue with lace tablecloths, linen napkins, English china and Sterling silver. 355 Scotland St., Dunedin. 727-776-2888.
19. Orange Crate Cafe The partnership of Tina Avila and Bree Cheatham has spawned the latest inception of the Pinellas Trail eatery formerly known as The Boxcar. Now called the Orange Crate Cafe, it’s slated to open at the end of August, with coffee and smoothies to start and a menu of healthy meals to come later. 349 Main St.
20. Olde Bay Cafe & Fish Market Scenically situated next to the Dunedin Marina, so you’ll be in just the right mood for fresh seafood. 51 Main St., 727-733-2542, oldebaycafe.com.
21. Pensare Italian Bistro Chef Ciro Mancini’s artfully crafted Italian dishes are some of the best in the Bay area. Homemade and delicate gnocchi, supple mussels, and perfect cannolis are just a few of the Pensare highlights. 799 Highland Ave., 727-786-2222, pensareitalianbistro.com.
22. Rosie’s Tavern A haven for dog lovers, this U.K.-style pub offers a respectable variety, outdoor seating and a clean, cozy, secondhand-smoke-free ambience. 730 Broadway, 727-724-4209.
23. Sea Sea Riders A wonderfully done Floribbean menu that never fails to satisfy. Order up some crispy tempura grouper cheeks or the shrimp and grits with manchego cheese and bacon. 221 Main St., 727-734-1445, seaseariders.net.
24. Serendipity Cafe Recipes at this health-conscious café are made with whole grains (everything is gluten-free), organic fruits and veggies, and humanely raised, antibiotic-free and hormone-free meats. Breakfast is served all day, and there are plenty of vegetarian and vegan dining options. 664 Main St., 727-483-9233, myserendipitycafe.com.
25. Skip’s Bar and Grill The perfect classic-crusty bar patina is hard to come by these days, but Skip’s has it, and remains the dog- and smoker-friendly spot for a frothy pint served up by badass manager Karen. It’s also home to one of the last great jukeboxes (four songs for $1) and the fabled “Dogedin” mural, an homage to man’s — and Dunedin’s — best friend. 371 Main St., 727-734-9151.
26. Strachan’s Homemade Ice Cream & Desserts Homemade ice cream that gives Working Cow a run for its money. And learn the biz at Strachan's Ice Cream School. 310 Main St., 727-733-3603, strachansdesserts.com.
27. Sweet Peas Cafe A parent-kid-conscious cafe whose tagline is “Eat, play, love,” Sweet Peas is housed in an old red schoolhouse-like bungalow with a white picket fence, an idyllic, shady, park-like play area, and “certified butterfly garden.” Plus soups, sandwiches, kids’ menu and homemade baby food. 434 Virginia Lane, 727-734-0909, thesweetpeascafe.com.
Thai Town This intimate little eatery off Main Street’s main drag is tastefully decorated and offers friendly service and fresh, affordable fare; especially recommended for lunch, when savory, hot/sweet combos come with soup and roll. 1342 Main St., 727-736-8424, gotthaitown.com.
Tom Yum Thai & Sushi Some of the area’s best Thai food and Miami-style sushi (try the rainbow roll). Or, if you’re looking for something more authentic, the flash-fried whole pompano fish is the way to go. 104 Patricia Ave., 727-953-9898, tomyumthaiandsushi.com.
28. Tony’s Pizza Classic American Italian pizza, calzones, and sandwiches. Get it by the pie or by the slice. 320 Main St., 727-286-6242, tonyspizzadunedin.com.
Umberto’s of Long Island Dunedin’s oldest Italian restaurant, Umberto’s was founded by a member of a New York restaurant family who relocated to Florida in the early 1970s, bringing the family name and their amazing pizza recipe with him. The place is now owned by Tony and Pat Illiano, but the dedication to quality ingredients and homemade sauce remains intact. 150 Patricia Ave., 727-736-3138, umbertosoflongisland.com.
GOODS & SERVICES
29. Amanda Austin Fine Antiques & Collectibles The cute shop off the Pinellas Trail gets its name from the owner’s grandchildren, Amanda and Austin. Its stunning vintage camera display in the front window beckons customers to sundry items too varied to mention here. 358 Main St., 727-736-0778.
30. Awaken Organic Skincare & Boutique Get fresh and clean with natural products and treatments for skin, nails, hair, or just get a massage. 353 Main St., 727-386-4134, awakenorganicskincare.com.
31. Back in the Day Books A shop that’s all about collectible, rare, unique, and otherwise hard-to-come-by books. You’ll find everything from vintage copies of Faulkner to the 1966 History of Pornography (sans photos). 457 Main St., 727-216-6641.
32. Celtic Shop of Dunedin Blimey, it’s a one-stop shop for Highlander games, Scots-Irish novelty and other souvenirs of Celtic heritage, from terrier tchotchkes to Tartans to novelty Ts — and custom-made kilts. 354 Main St., 727-733-2200, celticshopdunedin.com.
33. Dragonfly Garden Those who wish to create a little Narnia of their own can browse earth goddess-friendly accessories — such as wrought-iron garden stakes, chimes, comfy gloves, tools, geegaws, books and, of course, dragonfly-themed gifts — all in a well-appointed shop under Stirling Art Studios. 730 Broadway, Suite 7,727-734-4900, shopdragonflygarden.com.
34. Kina Kouture With vintage and retro-new threads, Kina’s is recommended for pinup/rockabilly chicks and anyone with a weakness for Mad Men/retro style. Though the duds were chic in Nana’s day, she wouldn’t bother with ’em now — unless she’s as cool as you. 447 Main St., 727-734-2900, kinakouture.com.
35. The Little Thrift Shop Browse second-hand goods at a store that benefits the poor in the Dunedin community. A recent visit saw Billy Graham’s autobiography propped next to a nature-friendly cookbook — so Dunedin! 506 Main St., 727-734-8238.
Enchanted Earth Metaphysical Shop Align your chakras and partake of merchandise related to witchcraft, astrology, tarot, psychic development, reiki and more. Psychic readings daily, too, but you knew that. 733 Main St., 727-216-6594, enchantedearthdunedin.com.
36. Enchanted Spirits Metaphysical Shop Your one-stop shop for crystals, tarot cards, handmade gemstone jewelry (including an extensive raw and polished gem collection), spell candles and monthly psychic readings. The book section is also noteworthy, with topics ranging from metaphysics to meditation. 712 Broadway, 727-286-6279, enchantedspiritsshop.com.
tampa needs to come out of the bronze age. the homeless should be given modern…
it's: the republicans to be named later vs OVERBY too (and Sink)!
Please note that Lucas Overby, a qualified candidate in this special election, will also be…
Letter to an author whose article I didn't read all the way through: Because it…