Decades of design 

That was built when?

Page 3 of 8

click to enlarge Bayshore Boulevard, Tampa - WIKIMEDIA COMMONS/EBYABE

1930s

Bayshore Boulevard, Tampa (1935)

Originally a two-lane brick street with lovely homes to the west and sandy mud flats to the east, Tampa’s current “Boulevard of Dreams” configuration — a gracefully curving roadway with landscaped median, neoclassical balustrade and, at 4.5 miles, the world’s longest continuous sidewalk — was created by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) as part of Roosevelt’s efforts to employ Americans by investing in public infrastructure. The $1.2 million price tag paid for new seawalls and pavements and filling in gaps along the way. A streetcar once ran down the center of the boulevard from downtown to Ballast Point; it was removed in 1946. Bicycle lanes, widened sidewalks and public art continue to draw residents and tourists to this grand esplanade.

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Latest in Transforming Tampa Bay

More by Linda Saul-Sena

Search Events

Recent Comments

© 2015 SouthComm, Inc.
Powered by Foundation

Web Analytics